Saturday, March 20, 2010

Self Guided Reading Assessments

My first stolen idea comes from e-teacher at the Elementary Teacher Blog.


Self-Guided Reading Assessment







I'm going to start using my digital tape recorder today for something other than recording my friends and me singing karaoke. I'm going to create a self-guided oral reading assessment for the kiddos. They'll take the tape recorder into the hall, press record, introduce themselves, then start reading a short, grade level passage of text. This way, I don't have to give the other kids busy work so that I can give the assessment, and I can go home and wear pajamas while I listen to and analyze the recordings for miscues.

Update, December 22:
This was the best idea I ever had! In addition to recording themselves reading, the students also answer a series of comprehension questions. I've adapted the grade 4 passages and assessment protocols from Reading Inventory for the Classroom. I also made a set of illustrated directions using photocopies of the front, side, and back of the tape recorder, which was very helpful. When kids need help, they ask other students to help them with it. My reading groups don't get interrupted, and I get all the assessment information I need. Oh, and I've been storing the files on my computer until I get one from each student (per reading passage), then burning it to a CD to back up.

Awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment